Sunday, February 04, 2007

Oaky Love


Alright so I've been deriding amateur wine connoisseurs for years now. People that smell the cork, swirl the wine in the glass, examine the wine's "legs" and ascribe all manner of completely random adjectives to the wine's flavour (or "texture", "body" etc). One of the most often used of these adjectives is "oaky". As in, "I do declare! Hints of black cherries with an oaky well-roundedness" . Well, maybe not that pretentious; I tend to avoid drinking with people that take it that far, but there have been a few.

So today when I picked up a new bottle of wine at the LCBO, I wasn't expecting anything approaching oaky. I mean, I don't even believe in oaky. I'd like to. But only in the same way I'd like to believe that the Notorious B.I.G is still living large, pimping hoes somewhere in the Caribbean.

Imagine my surprise then, when I poured a glass and discovered that there was a very distinct flavour of wood in the wine I had selected. "Hmm...it's almost...

...could it be?"

I grabbed the bottle and read the label on the back: "Full-bodied, firm, and tannic with boisonberry and black currant flavours". Blah blah blah, the usual trash. And then, there it was:

"Oak barrel aging mellows the wine, allowing it to be enjoyed now or cellared to enhance its qualities".

Booyak. I almost felt like Colombus.